Gambling online should be fun and entertaining and as long as you gamble responsibly you’ll continue to enjoy a past time enjoyed by millions all over the world.
There’s no denying that placing bets at your favourite sports book or betting site is fun, exciting and brings a certain thrill that is hard to find elsewhere. However, for some this can be too much to handle and requires strong will not to go chasing your bets.
That’s why it’s best to stick to some rules when online gambling to make sure that you never end up betting more than you can afford to and keeping it fun at the same time.
Our top tips to responsible gambling
- Stick to your budget: Make sure you only bet what you can afford to, gambling should be done with excess money that you have rather than money that is meant to pay the bills. Set your weekly or daily budget and never go over.
- Set your limits: Casinos and sports books now a days will allow you to set a maximum daily limit that you won’t be able to go over or change instantly meaning that if you feel like you want to bet more you will have to wait at least 24 hours to do so.
- Limit your game play: It’s a good idea to set a time frame that you want to bet whether its 15 minutes or 1 hour make sure you stick to that and don’t go over it no matter how much you have won or lost. This will help you make sure you don’t chase those wins.
- Talk to people: Be open about your gambling, don’t hide the fact that you bet online because of what people might think. If you feel like you are spending too long or too much time gambling then be sure to seek help from family or friends if needs be.
What are the signs of a problem gambler?
There are a few signs that you would want to be on the look out for if you believe that you or a friend or family member might have a problem with gambling.
- You spend more than you can afford to: If you keep going over your budget or start to spend more than you have this is a sure fire sign that there is a problem developing.
- You chase your loses: If you are down on your luck and think that one more spin might give you your next big win, then this a sure fire way to lose. Yes it might, but more often than not it won’t. Stop earlier and live to play another day.
- You can’t stop thinking about it: If you are at work or out with friends and the only thing you can think about is the next time you’ll be able to get betting then you should seek help. At this point you’ve got a problem and one that needs to be curbed. Talk to people or get advice from the people around you.
Seek help and advice
If any of the above relate to you then it’s best to start talking to people. It could be your friends your brother, sister, mum or dad or one of the anonymous professional help organisations below.
- GamblersAnonymous: www.gamblersanonymous.org
- GamTalk: www.gamtalk.org
- ProblemGambling Canada: www.problemgambling.ca
- ProblemGambling Australia: www. problemgambling.vic.gov.au
- ResponsibleGambling: www.responsiblgambling.org